Thursday, September 9, 2010

For Whom the Bells Toll (Wait, Wrong Literature...)

I must admit, Dickinson's "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain" was my favorite poem of the eight selections for this week. I personally find her auditory imagery far more powerful than most visual imagery. Several poets will describe events with colors, or personify nature to give it more life, or create other visual images that evoke either wonderful or terrible feelings. However, it seems that a startling majority of poets rely solely on visual imagery. After a time, this repetition often causes visual imagery to lose its potential power. Using virtually exclusively auditory imagery, however, Dickinson creates a powerful, booming cascade of images that are so unique and startlingly original that they not only attract the reader's attention, but demand it. A poet simply cannot write a description of "a Drum--/Kept beating--beating--till I thought/ My Mind was going numb--" (5-7) and not intend that it carry a substantial amount of power. Dickinson takes these concepts and images that are usually visual, such as space and heavens, and creates a completely original association with them as describing them as beginning to "toll" (12) and as being a "Bell" (13), respectively. To me, that is where Dickinson's true power in her poetry lies: in her ability to take a known and accepted idea or image and convolute it into a startling and powerful creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment